The Benefits of Writing Prompts
The Benefits of Writing Prompts
This past week, one of my readers asked me, “What are the Benefits of Writing Prompts?” So, I thought I would share my thoughts and why I share the prompts with you every week.
Writing Prompt Benefits:
1. Save your writing prompts. You never know when you can use them in a novel, a story or an article you may write in the future. Never throw away any writing that you do, even if it’s just a line or a random thought. Some of my writing prompts were perfect to use in a short story and some I still have saved to use for something in the future. Create your own library of your writing to draw from when needed.
2. Writing is stressful sometimes. Wouldn’t you say that someone giving you a writing prompt takes some of the pressure off of you? For that instance, you don’t have to think about what to write. It’s presented to you and all you have to do is to take it and let your imagination run with it.
3. Write every day. Every writer knows that you should write at “LEAST” something, everyday. Writing Prompts also saves time if you are out of ideas to write about. Perhaps the prompt you are given doesn’t conjure up any ideas but it may cause you to have another idea that you can write about.
4. Every writer many times always revert back to a specific era in time, genre, social status or location that they always write about. A writing prompt can give you an idea of something totally different you have never written about before, such as writing something funny instead of a mystery; writing about something happening in London rather than the USA; your main character is always a female and a writing prompt may suggest that you write from a male perspective. Take the challenge and write something out of your normal comfort zone. You might find that you enjoy it immensely.
5. Focus, Focus, Focus. Many of us have problems with focus. Writing Prompts can also help with getting in the habit of focus. Maybe there is a time deadline to have the writing prompt done; you would have to be super focused to get it done and in on time. Never accept a challenge if you can’t meet the deadline. You need to protect your reputation as a writer who follows through with projects and “DO NOT” leave people hanging or disappointed.
Benefit From Participation:
I provide a weekly writing prompt and some of my readers have started submitting their entries in the comments section of my blog. I find the writing prompts at Writing.com (Aff.) If the prompt I give out doesn’t spark any ideas for you, go to Writing.com and find another one that does provoke an idea to write about.
We had four submissions to the writing prompt for August 25, 2016 <<<<<<
I am hoping that this will pick up and we will have more submissions each week. I do have to admit that I have not been able to add my versions of the writing prompts. Many of you know of my home situation and I have limited time online but I will be back online full time soon.
Just a little reminder note that when you submit your writing to the comments section of my blog, you will still retain the rights and I will not take that away from you if you post it for everyone to read.
I have noticed many times while writing with a supplied Writing Prompt, that I will have other ideas pop into my head. Don’t lose that opportunity to quickly write that thought down. You may ask “But wouldn’t that interrupt my focus?”
“Yes, it may for a few minutes. But how many times have you had a thought and you told yourself you would remember it and you didn’t?” Take the few seconds to jot down some words that you will recall later on. Don’t stress about writing details of a fleeting thought right now. Get back to writing from the Writing Prompt you were given and then add more notes to the thought you had while writing.
So, I trust that this will answer some of your questions about “The Benefits of Writing Prompts.” If you have any other questions, I would be happy to try and answer them for you.
Writers. Having a problem getting writing positions? Writer Help Wanted (Aff.) Will Supply the Resources
- How To Work With IBOToolbox Effectively Each Day - December 21, 2016
- 9 Steps To Gain Control Of Your Business - November 27, 2016
- Weekly Writing Prompt 11-23-2016 - November 23, 2016
- Do You Know Who I Am? - November 9, 2016
- Weekly Creative Writing Prompt 9-23-2016 - September 23, 2016
- Whats A Bullet Journal and Why It Will Help You - September 21, 2016
- Weekly Writing Prompt 9-14-2016 - September 14, 2016
- Weekly Writing Prompt 9-6-2016 - September 6, 2016
- The Benefits of Writing Prompts - September 4, 2016
- Thank You To My Loyal Readers - September 3, 2016
Tagged with: The Benefits of Writing Prompts
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!