Focus is a word that you will hear and read about online until it’s “done to death.” However, it is a very important part of working online. Until you decide that you are going to focus on and hold yourself accountable either in a group or create your own goals, then you are destined to spin your wheels and fail.
We all make jokes about the SOS (Shiny Object Syndrome) but it is a very real monster that will creep in and take hold of you again many times over, if you keep allowing it to do so.
I came back to work full time on November 14, 2016 and as ashamed as I am to say it, the “monster” took hold on me again and I allowed it.
Before I realized what had happened, I had signed up for three different programs. I was in the middle of a course about Pinterest (actually 2 of them) and I had created a new website, along with my already existing sites MonnaEllithorpe.com – BlueJeanWriter.com – DoubleWeddingRingQuilts.com
Well as it happens and many times things just don’t work out as planned. We found it’s very hard to find a full care Alzheimer’s unit in Indiana or at least close to where we wanted her to be. So Friday, December 2nd, I will be flying up to Indianapolis to bring Mom back home. Hopefully we will find a more suitable Alzheimer’s Care Facility here in SW Florida.
I will be caring for her again here at home until a definite and acceptable place can be found to ensure that she will not walk out of the facility on her own, as what has happened already.
Back to my point of this post, I took a good long look again at my business online. I realized I needed to scale back and decide for the last time what I am going to focus on and “NOT” change my mind. I need to learn to ignore new things that come along and we all know there will be new things coming along.
Writing and Self Publishing will always be a priority for clients and myself. To start with, I listed all of what I was involved in and set a priority to each. I then proceeded to drop the things that I thought I would work with but in actuality, I know I will never follow through with them.
As we don’t know how long Mom will be here at the house this time, I have to keep things to a minimum and in my “Bullet Journal,” I’ll plot out a weekly plan on what I will be working on and the most efficient way to do this.
9 Steps To Gain Control Of Your Business
- Make a list of everything you are involved in.
- Go through the list and be honest with yourself as to what you are really interested in working with and delete or cancel the program, membership, etc.
- Assign a priority to each of the things you have left on your list.
- First thing each day – you should work on something that creates an income for you.
- Use a timer on each task that you work on. The timer should be mandatory for things like email, advertising, social sites and connecting with people.
- Be consistent each and every day working on the money tasks, blogging/writing and email and social media.
- Don’t be discouraged if you are sidetracked by life occurrences but be very aware of any people or things that will distract you from your intended work for the day.
- At night, evaluate your progress for the day and list anything that distracted you and keep notes on things that you are prone to let get in your way. I find that writing something down on paper seems to embed it deeper in my mind.
- Plan your “consistent tasks” for the next day and get a good nights sleep.
This is an example of my “Bullet Journal” for this next week. I’m not done planning the week yet but this will give you an idea of my accountability system.
Weekly Business Priority List:
- MLE Blog
- Blue Jean Writer Blog
- Double Wedding Ring Quilts Blog
- Self-Publishing for clients and prep-work for publishing
- MCA – My Weekly Checks (aff.) (since I now have a car)
- The Women’s Connection (aff.) encouragement and accountability)
Daily Tasks by Priority (Using Timer):
- Writing (mystery novelette – release date planned for February 2017)
- Reading blogs and commenting
- Social Media
- Exercise and water intake
I hope I have provided some ideas for you to begin your own method of prioritizing and getting consistent and organized.
We are coming to the end of the year and a new year is ahead. Now would be a great time to start thinking about how you can streamline your business and your life for 2017.
If you have found value in this post, please share on your social media sites and with your friends and associates.